Crunchy Quinoa Granola
This is an awesomely easy recipe that comes together with whatever combination of seeds and nuts you have stored in your pantry. I made about 4 full trays of granola with this recipe. Granola is perfect as a snack with nut milks, a crumble topping on stewed fruits, or mix it into bliss balls. The uses and flavour combinations here is only limited by your imagination.
Makes 8-10 cups
This can be prepared a day in advance or a few hours ahead.
2 cups quinoa (white, red or mixed) rinsed and drained
2 cups water
- Pour quinoa into a small pot with water.
- Bring it to boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer till almost all the water is absorbed (approx. 10mins).
- Turn off heat and leave covered for 15 mins.
- Spread onto a lined tray to quicken the cooling process.
2 cups quinoa flakes
¾ cup raw pecans, chopped coarsely
½ cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
Pre heat oven to 160C.
In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup honey
2 tbsp coconut oil
- Whisk the wet ingredients in a small mixing bowl and add to the dry mixture.
- Mix really well coating all the ingredients completely.
- Spread out evenly over two trays in a single layer and bake for about 30-40mins till crunchy and golden brown.
- Stir once or twice through the baking time to make sure that the granola is evenly baked.
Add after baking:
2/3 cup dried currants
2/3 cup dried apricots/ dehydrated apples
Store in a airtight container when completely cooled. Serve with Coghurt and seasonal stewed or fresh fruits. A nourishing meal on the go!